Young & Dumb

Views from a 19 year-old feminist: The Word Feminism

I am NO expert when it comes to feminism, but really who is? It's our induvial opinions on the subject really make it what it is. Feminism is constructed by a group of people with all kinds of different thoughts and ideas. One person's view points can be different from another's and they can still be considered a feminist. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this group of women marching along the side lines waving their flags. However, with all the different opinions flying around I think we can all agree on one thing, this movement was created for one purpose; equality for all.  
My boyfriend claims he isn't a feminist, but his actions and the way he treats people (more specifically women) say otherwise. He may say he thinks the feminist movement is stupid but he does believe in equal rights for all and treats me, and all other minorities with the utter more respect. It's the label we've slapped into this movement that takes him aback. He'll wave his little flag and speak up for me when needed but he doesn't want to be associated with a name that often gets misinterpreted as women are better. I on the other hand, associate myself with the word. I love the word, I bathe in the word, I live for the word. They could call this women's movement 'Frogtails' and you bet I would stand tall with Frogtail written on my forehead. To me it doesn't matter, it's just something we deiced to name it because the majority of the group is women. I understand where it can get misinterpreted and that's fine just do some research, pull of google and get to work. If you're standing up for something you should be more educated about it in the first place. I think women are starting to realize how powerful and amazing they can be together and I've found that a using a word we can relate to is easier for us to understand as a whole. 

Girls are special creatures. If you want to see more feminist posts this week check out our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts on more of our views about this uprising movement. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts